Monday, April 23, 2012

Spicy Green Beans with Sesame Seeds


I'm always trying to find good side dish recipes so we can eat something besides 'steamed vegetable of the day.'  I found this one in 'Best American Side Dishes,' another cookbook from the editors of 'Cook's Illustrated.'  It is a bit on the spicy side but it's pretty quick and simple to prepare.  The recipe calls for cooking the green beans on the stove.  I cheated and bought the green beans that steam in a bag in your microwave.  Also, this recipe would be good with a variety of vegetables:  broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, maybe even corn.

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb green beans
1 t. toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 t. Asian garlic-chili sauce*
2 T. minced fresh cilantro
1 T. toasted sesame seeds

INSTRUCTIONS:
1.  Bring 2 1/2 quarts water to boil in a large saucepan over high heat.  Add 1 teaspoon salt and the beans and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.  (or see my cheat above!)

2.  Toss green beans with remaining ingredients and serve.

* I sent my husband to the store and for the life of him, he couldn't find the garlic-chili sauce.  So as an FYI, this is what you're looking for:


No comments:

Post a Comment